Skip to main content

Context Report

Inspired by Eastern philosophies and tradition, I began to think about how these ideas could be applied to modern thought. The practise of yoga and meditation are routines which are becoming modernised and used particularly by younger people: as people are more aware of mental and personal well-being, these types of routines and structures help us to organise the mind. I'm interested in the way Eastern philosophies relate to modern day and have differences and parallels with branches of thought like existentialism. 

The subject of the self, the spiritual and 'otherness' influenced me: the idea of creating a setting, much like Rothko's Chapel; a place of meditation or deep contemplation. On visiting the work of Anthony McCall, I noticed the ways a minimalist concept, like using moving lights in a dark space, could make a person become aware of themselves. I tried my own experiments with light by making a wooden stencil and shining torches on to the wall. I liked this method but felt restricted by space. The projections I achieved felt too stable and I decided to push my ideas into moving image. I created stop motion films of a circle fluctuating, using Photoshop. During the group critique, I was advised to use slower movement to achieve something else erratic and more delicate.
After experimenting with word and sculpture, film and installation seemed the more appropriate medium.

In Eastern philosophy, as well as the theme of believing in nature or 'flow' of the universe, there is a focus on ritual and routine. The flower arrangements, tea ceremonies and zen gardens all carry an order which is symbolic to their beliefs. On existentialism, John Paul Sartre makes references to the way apparent order is a human construct which we hide behind in order to subconsciously stop ourselves from living in 'bad faith'. I was influenced the connection the two philosophies. To respond to this, I filmed footage of ordinary routine and combined this with footage with a sense of ritual and the spiritual. Slow motion footage of people walking in a town centre contrasted with the gradual burning of an incense stick gives this antithesis of the normal and the other.

A key aspect of existentialist theory is the true absurdity of the world we live in. Satre's book, Nausea, the character who gets on to a tram and suddenly realises the absurdity of sitting in the seat;"it's a seat...but the word stays on my lips: it refuses to put itself on a thing." I begin to draw on this concept using film. This sudden awareness of the world is something that constantly inspires me and I see it in other artists works.  Artists like James Turrell, Ryoji Ikeda and Martin Creed create work which communicates different ideas but impact the viewer and make them question ones own meaning and place. Through my use of film in Premier Pro, I experiment with layering films and creating mirror images which slightly distort the original film. To further distort and set up a sensory, spiritual experience, I also experiment with brown and pink noises.
Through developing and refining my use of film and sound in my work I feel I have reached a new and sophisticated way of making work.

For the videos mentioned, click the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqVtulEOgYNENx0WZWb3d5A?view_as=subscriber

SARTRE, J.

Nausea

In-text: (Sartre, 1963)
Your Bibliography: Sartre, J. (1963). Nausea. London: Penguin, p.169.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evaluating Process

Initially to begin this module, we were scheduled multiple workshops in order to develop our practise but also personal tutorials with tutors whom set tasks in order to challenge our concepts and ideas of making artwork. I really enjoyed these first few weeks of experimentation and challenging what constituted art and artistic concept. In the workshops, I experimented with film photography, welding, mental casting, illustration, Premier Pro and paper making. While these methods were really useful in developing my knowledge and practise, I felt like some were more relevant to me personally than others. At this point I knew I really wanted to develop my use of making films, so Premier Pro was really useful for me.  During the personal tutorials, the tutor set various tasks in order to challenge how we made work and what work meant. I really enjoyed being forced out of my comfort zone by having to make work in short periods of time. A particular task I enjoyed was re-purposing a mater

Module 1 - Rationale 550 words

In order to sum up my project in a shorter post, here is my 550 word rationale to contextualise my work: The control we have as individuals is something that concerns me more as I grow older, due to me becoming aware of my own and others arbitrary positions in society. Growing up exposed me to the reality of my own choices, my own freedom and my own significance as an individual. "Man is condemned to be free"1 ; both a blessing and a curse. As a young person in society, what is my function? What will it be in 10 years? Can I control any of this?  Provoked by these anxieties, I pushed my ideas through multiple mediums to test the boundaries of control, chaos and freedom. Inspired by Zen philosophy and meditation, I have experimented ways of altering control in my work. This creates a work subject to chance/ result of chance. By removing control, I submit myself to allowing things to happen in their own way, the way of the 'tao', meaning path or way. 'Tao' i

RECENT WORKS